Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Texas vs. 49 Slop Pails

"Texas does not, like any other region, simply have indigenous dishes. It proclaims them. It congratulates you, on your arrival, at having escaped from the slop pails of the other 49 states." -Alistair Cooke

For the above quote, Mr. Cooke has become my new hero. It's really too bad that NYC bodysnatchers stole his cold, dead bones. I guess he shouldn't have been buried in a slop pail!

If you ever find yourself doubting that Texas is the best state in the union (and should be its own country), may I offer you a true story to support my case? Just last night, when friends of mine and I had enough of our respective families for the Christmas season, we snuck out to a little dive bar called The Water Tank. Let's just say that the parking lot was jam packed at 9pm with other people who had also snuck away from their sugar-high home folks. Where else can you get free smoked turkey, free desserts, free sandwich fixins, and free pizza, along with $6.75 pitchers of domestic beer? The three of us were there for three hours and our tab wasn't even $14. Merry Christmas to us from Texas! We might be a little bit redneck here, but we have more fun. Hey--it's better than that slop pail ya'll are from!

Tune in next time for my review of the world-famous Coupland Inn & Dancehall.

1 comment:

LadyVet said...

I love your blog. Especially the quote about Texas vs. 49 Slop Pails. You should give a link to that Guy Clark song ''Texas Cooking.'' Have you seen the ''New Tastes of Texas'' cookbook? Check out the fancy salad with the fried okra. Oooh, my mama, ain't that Texas cooking good? Stop your belly and backbone thumpin'.

Any woman who likes honky-tonk piano AND Alan Keyes AND Texas cooking is my kind of woman.

P.S. And I suspect that I am going to like Fred Thompson's wife, too.